One thing that you will soon find out about me if you haven’t already is that I LOVE chocolate and orange together! There’s something about the bright, citrusy flavor of orange coupled with the sweet, rich flavor of chocolate that gets me every time! The two flavors compliment each other so well and the smell of chocolate and orange baking in the oven...DIVINE!
Muffins are great as a quick breakfast item, snack or dessert. They can be baked up in no time and are so easy to store and grab as needed. You can take orange and chocolate and develop it into just about whatever sweet treat you can think up and I thought muffins would be perfect to showcase these flavors. This recipe literally just came to me one day. I mean, I woke up and knew that I wanted to make chocolate chip and blood orange muffins! Blood oranges are bae y'all! The deep red flesh is so gorgeous and the bright citrus flavor is amazing.
These muffins have such a delightful burst of citrus from lots of fresh blood orange juice and zest. You do need a good amount of juice and zest for this recipe because you really want the citrus flavor to come through. I love that you can just see the zest peeking through the batter in this recipe when mixing! Be sure not to over-mix your batter to ensure you get light and fluffy muffins. I like semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe but feel free to use dark or milk chocolate as well. These smell heavenly while baking in the oven and the taste is sure to match. Have one (or two) in the morning with your coffee and tea and you're off to a great start!
Blood Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup blood orange zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°Line twelve 2 ½-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, sugar, milk, orange peel, orange juice, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. (batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Spoon ¼ cup of the batter into muffin cups.. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.