Day (I don't even know anymore) of quarantine. I hope you guys are holding up well out there and staying positive! My days have been filled with lots of exercising, yoga, reading and of course cooking up fun recipes like these tasty Broccoli Tots.
These tots are the most perfect of snacks for hungry kiddos (and husbands). They're also a wonderful way to sneak in some veggies. You can also serve them as a side dish at dinnertime. Nothing overly complicated or fancy with these guys. Shaping your tots is the most time consuming part of the recipe - but it's also a bit therapeutic.
Making Broccoli Tots
First, you cut up your fresh broccoli into little florets and blanch them in boiling water for about a minute. This gives the broccoli a beautiful bright green color and helps with the texture.
Chop your onion and set to the side.
Next, add broccoli florets to your food processor and pulse a few times until finely chopped.
Measure out your broccoli and transfer to a large bowl along with egg, breadcrumbs, onion and cheese. Mix until combined.
Scoop balls of the mixture into your palm with a cookie scoop and form into the shape of tots.
Please tots, evenly spaced, onto a baking sheet and cook until golden brown. Be sure and flip tots halfway through cooking time.
You’ll Also Love This Garlic Roasted Broccolini Recipe!
- 2 medium heads broccoli cut into florets
- ¼ cup small diced onion
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line or grease a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets to the water and cook them just until fork tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the florets and transfer them to a food processor. Pulse the broccoli a few times just until broken down down into small pieces.
- Measure out 3 packed cups of the broccoli and transfer to a large bowl. Add the diced onion, breadcrumbs, egg, pepper and cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop balls of the mixture into your palm with a cookie scoop and mold it into a tater tot shape. Place the tots on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the tots for about 20 minutes then flip them once and bake them an additional 10 to 15 minutes until crisped. Remove the tots from the oven and serve with your dipping sauce of choice.