Easter is coming up very soon and it will be much different than I ever imagined it to be this year. I had planned on attending a wonderful Easter service at our church and having a lovely meal with family afterward. Easter Sunday will now consist of live streaming church service online and a wonderful brunch for the hubby and I afterward. These delectable Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes might just be on that menu!
If you guys are like me, you've probably been cooking a lot more breakfast lately. Breakfast/brunch is a favorite in my house so this certainly isn't a bad thing for us! Now is the perfect time to experiment with new breakfast recipes such as quiche, omelettes, french toast, casseroles, benedicts, biscuits...the possibilities are endless!
Pancakes are always a simple and delicious choice for breakfast any day of the week. They're also a blank canvas for all sorts of toppings and ingredients. Let your imagination run wild! Think fruits, nuts, chocolate, candies, cereals...go crazy!
I like to make my pancakes as healthy as possible by using using whole wheat or oat flour and unsweetened almond milk. You will have to use a bit more milk with the whole wheat and oat flour to get a nice pancake batter consistency. For this recipe I use semisweet chocolate chips but you can use any variety of chocolate chip you like. I also add cocoa powder to the batter - hence the "double chocolate" part. Add a little more or less than the recipe calls for according to your preference.
You can top these pancakes with chocolate syrup or fudge if you like for a real overload of chocolaty goodness! Hubby and I decide to stick with plain ol' pancake syrup and it was BOMB! Serve these up with some scrambled eggs and fresh fruit for a perfect weekend breakfast or just have the pancakes by themselves...either way you're in for a chocolaty, tasty treat!
Check Out My Other Brunchalicous Recipes Before You Go:
- Lemon and White Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Strawberries and Cream Croissant French Toast Casserole
- Hashbrown Casserole with Smoked Salmon
- Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Frittata
- Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Quiche
Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour or oat or all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups milk I use unsweetened almond
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat. Pour about ¼ cup batter on griddle and cook about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 on the other side.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or chocolate syrup.