I am southern girl that absolutely ADORES cornbread. I’m not a huge fan of the overly sweet or floury cornbread either - I like a dominant cornmeal consistency with lots of butter and a little bit of sweetness. Give me a hot cast iron skillet and we’re on our way to some good ol’ southern cornbread.
I like other breads too - yeast rolls, biscuits, tea biscuits, butter rolls - I don’t discriminate. But I have to admit that I’m partial to a big slice of hot out of the oven cornbread!
About Jalapeño Cornbread Waffles with Hot Strawberry Butter
I’ll give you a quick southern lesson here: There’s a word that we use here in the south, and it’s something that you use cornbread to accomplish (or whatever bread you have on your plate). The word is SOP. Yep, sop! You use your piece of cornbread to sop up any delicious broth or juices from the rest of your meal. I’ll give you an example: a big plate of meat and cabbage (or collard greens, black eyed peas, corn, green beans...)? Perfect - just use your cornbread to sop up those cabbage juices that have escaped to the rim of your plate!
Now that you know how crazy I am about cornbread and how elegantly we like to incorporate it into our dinner time meals, I’ll get on with the recipe.
I decided put a spin on classic cornbread and make fun waffles for this recipe. You don’t do anything different as far as mixing up your classic cornbread batter. The fun comes in with some fun additions and the breaking out of your waffle iron of course. I added in some fresh corn kernels and chopped jalapeños right into the batter for some extra texture and kick. The sweetness of the kernels and spice of the jalapeños is a winning combination in this recipe!
Then, there’s the spicy strawberry butter! I wanted to add an unexpected element to bring everything together and this butter does just that. The butter is slightly sweet and has a nice freshness and texture from the strawberries with a banging kick from the crushed red pepper! Drizzle some honey on top and dig in!
You Will Also Love This Fig Brie en Croute Recipe!
Jalapeño Cornbread Waffles with Hot Strawberry Butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter melted
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ear fresh corn kernels
- ¼ cup chopped pickled jalapeños
- cooking spray
For Strawberry Butter
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoon chopped strawberries
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven waffle iron
- Shuck one ear of corn and remove kernels from cob. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together buttermilk, butter, sugar and eggs. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, and salt. Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula until moist.
- Fold in corn and jalapeños with wooden spoon or spatula.
- Spray waffle grates with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon about ¼ cup batter into waffle iron with large ladle. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per waffle.
- Repeat until all the remaining batter is used.
For Strawberry Butter
- Cream stick of butter with hand mixer until fluffy
- Beat in strawberries, salt, red pepper and honey with hand mixer. Mix until smooth and bright pink.
- Serve each waffle with a small scoop of butter and top with a drizzle of honey