Ok so I have a confession - this was my first time making this type of crust from scratch. For some reason I thought that the process of making a dough along with the kneading and resting would be far more tricky. But it was the quite the opposite! The process was extremely simple, especially with the use of instant yeast. I am proud to say that I’ve conquered one of my culinary fears! Now if I could only muster up the guts to attempt macarons...one day maybe!
But anyway, on to this wonderful flatbread recipe. I got all of the inspiration for this recipe from Thefeedfeed’s recipe in which they used prosciutto. I would have never thought to add beautiful plums as a topping on a flatbread. When I tell you the flavors are magical, that is a total understatement...they’re heavenly!
The process is simple enough and you’ll feel something like a chef when this baby comes out of the oven. Using the instant yeast makes forming the dough a breeze. Then you simply top with your smoked salmon, beautiful sliced plums, tangy blue cheese and pop that bad boy in the oven and let it do its thing! Once it comes out and cools a bit, top it off with some fresh arugula and a drizzle of honey! I’m telling you - this thing is BOMB!
I’ll be very transparent here and admit that I totally forgot to par bake my crust as instructed in the recipe from Thefeedfeed. However, I simply let my flatbread bake a little longer in the oven and the result was AMAZING! The longer baking time actually gave me a crispier bottom and also allowed my juicy plums to soften a bit more! I definitely recommend the use of different types of plums for this recipe as some are a bit sweeter or tangier than others and the combination of the flavors is where it’s at!!
Plum and Blue Cheese Flatbread with Smoked Salmon
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon torn into pieces
- 4 pitted plums of different types cut into wedges
- ¾ cup blue cheese crumbles
- olive oil as needed
- course sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- To make the dough, add all ingredients to a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough begins to come together.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes or until it forms a smooth ball. Transfer ball of dough to large bowl and coat with olive oil. Cover and let rest for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 ̊F.
- Once the pizza dough has rested, stretch it into a rectangle on a sheet pan and drizzle with more olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Transfer to oven and bake until dough is set and just starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from oven and top with smoked salmon, plums and blue cheese.
- Bake in oven for 8-12 mins or until crust is golden brown and blue cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Top with arugula and drizzle with honey and serve! Add more blue cheese crumbles if desired.