Chicken breasts strips are seasoned and tossed together with bell peppers, onions and oil then cooked together on a sheet pan and served with warm tortillas and toppings. Easiest dinner ever!
I don’t know about y’all but sometimes I’m just not in the mood to spend hours in the kitchen preparing dinner. This is when sheet pan meals are the perfect solution! What’s easier that cooking all your ingredients together on one pan in the oven?
These Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are definitely a quick and easy recipe that you should always have in your back pocket. The whole family is sure to love the Mexican flavors that come through in these fajitas.
Although fajitas are typically cooked in a hot cast iron skillet to get that nice sizzle and char on the meat, these are not lacking in flavor. These tasty fajitas are the perfect weeknight dinner, or for anytime you need a quick dinner solution.
Chicken Fajita Filling
You only need a few simple ingredients for these oven fajitas:
- Chicken breasts
- Bell peppers (I love yellow and red)
- Yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Olive Oil
Cooking Fajitas in the Oven
Simply season your chicken or protein of choice (I’m pescatarian and prefer shrimp and cook the chicken for hubby)
Spread your veggies onto prepared baking sheet
Add your chicken and toss everything to combine
Sprinkle minced garlic and drizzle oil over top
Bake until your veggies are tender, and meat is cooked through
Additional Ingredients and Toppings for Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Warm tortillas (flour or corn)
- Pico de Gallo,
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
Accompany Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas with Mexican Street Corn or Cilantro Lime Rice!
Product Recommendations for Sheet Pan Fajitas:
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into about ½-inch thick strips (make them as even as possible)
- 1 red bell pepper cored and sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper cored and sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion cut in half then sliced into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- For serving
- 8 taco size flour tortillas
- Sour cream, avocado slices or guacamole, Pico de Gallo, shredded cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, 1 ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Add chicken strips and 1 tbsp of oil and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Spread bell peppers and yellow onion onto baking sheet.
- Top with seasoned chicken strips then sprinkle minced garlic over top.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over top then toss everything together evenly coat. Spread into an even layer working to keep chicken from overlapping.
- Roast in preheated oven until veggies are tender and chicken has cooked through, about 18 - 25 minutes (check a few of the larger pieces of chicken to make sure they are fully cooked in the center).
- Either wrap tortillas tightly in foil and warm in oven during last 5 minutes of fajita filling cooking or heat them in a hot dry skillet on top of the stove for a minute or two per side.
- Drizzle lime juice evenly over top of the chicken fajita filling, sprinkle with more salt to taste and toss to coat.
- Serve filling warm in warm tortillas with toppings of choice.