It's a Saturday evening and hubby and I are home finishing a movie. We ask each other almost at the same time, "what's for dinner?". We weren't really in the mood for takeout and neither of us really felt like making the trip to the grocery store.
So to the fridge and pantry I went, surveying what we had on hand to whip up a quick meal. And what did I come up with?...shrimp enchiladas! I rounded up my flour tortillas, cheese, Pico de Gallo and shrimp and in no time, problem solved! Sometimes it just happens likes that and delicious things get created this way!
Quesadillas will typically work with whatever ingredients you can find in your kitchen to fill them with! That's why they're so great! These quesadillas are packed with well seasoned, tender shrimp, Pico de Gallo, and course lots of marvelous cheese. Give your seasoned shrimp a quick sauté and then assemble your quesadillas, cook them in a heated and oiled skillet for a few minutes per side and that's all folks! I topped these guys off with a scoop of fresh avocado, a little Pico, and a drizzle of sriracha sour cream...yes, please!
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo fresh or store bought
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon
each garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, paprika, ground cumin, salt, black pepper
- 1-2 cups
of cheddar, Mexican blend or Monterey Jack
- 4 burrito sized flour tortillas
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Season generously with chili powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside in bowl
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or pan. Add Pico de Gallo and cook for 1 minute or until tender.
- Add the seasoned shrimp and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until shrimp begins to turn pink.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and rinse and wipe down pan. Return the pan to the heat and spray cooking spray or coat with about 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
- Assemble quesadillas by sprinkling cheese on all of tortilla, leaving a little room around edge. Spoon enough shrimp mixture to cover one side of tortilla. Fold tortilla in half and transfer to heated skillet, cooking 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with guacamole, extra Pico, and sriracha or regular sour cream if desired.