This Vegan Avocado Dark Chocolate Mousse is smooth, creamy, and bursting with robust chocolate flavor. This mousse is also loaded with healthy fats and a boost of protein for a delicious and nutritious dessert!
Making this Vegan Dark Chocolate Mousse could not be easier. You simply add all of your ingredients to the bowl of a food processor, pulse until smooth, divide into cups or bowls and top with yogurt or whipped topping. I'll admit that I was a bit skeptical at first, but you really can't taste the avocado!
I'm not kidding when I say this mousse is incredibly easy to make! All you need are a few simple ingredients and a food processor to whip up this healthy dessert.
What You Will Need to Make This Recipe
- RIPE AVOCADOS. This avocado chocolate mousse recipe starts with ripe avocados. You don’t want anything hard or underripe here, since the texture and flavor won’t work well for mousse. You definitely want some give in the texture.
- UNSWEETENED DUTCHED COCOA POWDER. It’s incredible just how much chocolate flavor you can pack into a recipe like this using just unsweetened dutched cocoa powder.
- CHOCOLATE FLAVORED VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER. The protein powder provides an added boost of protein and nutrients in this avocado mousse. Be sure to use a brand that blends well.
- GRANULATED STEVIA OR SWEETENER OF CHOICE. To sweeten this vegan chocolate mousse, we use a stevia baking blend. You may use any other granulated sweetener you like as long as it has a one-to-one replacement ratio with sugar. I have not tested this recipe with a liquid sweetener like maple syrup.
- ALMOND MILK. Then, to thin the mixture out and help it blend, you’ll add a little of your favorite milk. I used almond milk for its neutral flavor, but feel free to use your favorite!
- VANILLA. Vanilla plays a key role in the flavor here. Use a good quality vanilla extract to get the best flavor in this mousse.
- SALT. Salt really balances the flavor here and you’ll notice a big difference if you leave it out. After chilling, if your mousse is tasting a bit flat, it might just need a tiny pinch more of salt.
How to Make This Mousse
Add the flesh of two large avocados, cocoa powder, protein powder, stevia or granulated sweetener of choice, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine.
Add 4 tablespoons of milk and pulse until smooth. Add another tablespoon of milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
Spoon mousse into 4 small bowls or yogurt cups. Top with nondairy yogurt or whipped topping if desired. Enjoy!
More on the Health Benefits of Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Really guys - this mousse is so luscious and decadent that you will completely forget you are eating a healthy dessert! The recipe is vegan, paleo, gluten-free, and we even use a sugar-free sweetener, making it low carb and keto avocado dark chocolate mousse at well!
Avocados are 100% cholesterol-free, contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients; and just one serving of this superfood offers eight percent of the daily value of fiber - a nutrient that provides a feeling of fullness and has also been found to potentially reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
With less than one gram of sugar per ounce, avocados have the least amount of sugar per serving of any fruit, and they act as a “nutrient booster” by helping the body to better absorb fat-soluble nutrients.
In addition to the plethora of health benefits from the superfood avocado, this avocado dark chocolate mousse also features a boost of protein from chocolate flavored vegan protein powder. Vegan protein powder is dairy and lactose-free, and if you get the right kind, it gives you all the amino acids you need to build muscle and stay lean.
What is the Flavor and Texture of Vegan Avocado Dark Chocolate Mousse Like?
The texture of this avocado dark chocolate mousse is not like that of a traditional French mousse dessert. However, it is incredibly smooth, decadent, and creamy.
Be sure to use a dutched cocoa powder in this mousse as it helps you achieve a nice, smooth texture. The dutched cocoa also provides a robust chocolate flavor that completely hides the flavor of the avocado.
It is important that you let this avocado dark chocolate mousse chill for a bit before digging in. This allows the flavors to meld and the texture to become even more luscious and creamy!
You Will Also Love these Sweet Vegan Recipes:
Vegan Avocado Dark Chocolate Mousse
- Food processor
- Add all ingredients except milk to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add 4 tablespoons of milk and pulse until smooth. Add another tablespoon of milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Spoon mousse into 4 small bowls or yogurt cups. Chill mousse in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour. Top with non dairy yogurt or whipped topping if desired.