Sausage and Pumpkin Pasta
This simple pasta dish is the perfect fall recipe. It is easy to make, packed with cozy fall flavors, and so comforting!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 10 oz package of Morningstar Chorizo Crumbles or 1 lb. of sausage of choice
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf fresh or dried
- 4 to 6 sprigs sage leaves cut into thin slices
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock can or carton
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped spinach leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 pound pasta shells cooked to al dente and drained
- Shaved Parmesan
Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, add sausage and break up with spoon. Cook for a few minutes until warmed if using veggie chorizo crumbles and until lightly browned if using sausage. Add the garlic and onion. Sauté with sausage 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender.
Add bay leaf, sage, chicken stock, and pumpkin to the pan, stirring sauce until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat, and stir in cream and spinach. Season the sauce with nutmeg, red pepper, and salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer mixture 5 to 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
Return drained pasta to the pot you cooked it in. Remove the bay leaf from sauce and pour the sausage pumpkin sauce over pasta. Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Garnish the pasta with lots of shaved cheese and more sliced sage leaves and spinach.