These delicious butter cookies have a shortbread-like texture and an amazingly cozy flavor thanks to cardamom and nutmeg and will have your home smelling amazing all season long!
If cardamom is a spice you've shied away from, this cookie recipe is the perfect way to introduce this flavorful spice into your cooking. Cardamom is an intense, complex spice that can be described as minty, fruity, spicy, and herbal all in one - and a little goes a long way in these irresistible butter cookies.
How to Make These Cookies
Whisk together flour, cardamom, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, salt, and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the egg yolks with the mixer on low. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add vanilla extract and mix on medium until combined.
Pour in the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
Roll the dough into a log. Wrap in parchment paper or plastic, then chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Once the dough is chilled use a sharp knife to cut it into even-sized slices. Top cookies with coarse sugar or sprinkles and place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
A Few Tips for Making Cardamom Butter Cookies
Measure your flour correctly. It is very easy to add too much flour to the recipe and is a very common mistake. Fluff your flour with a spoon, sprinkle it into your measuring cup, and use a knife to level it off.
Use a good vanilla extract for this recipe. You don't want to use the artificial stuff as vanilla is a prominent flavor in these cookies.
Chill the dough in the refrigerator. Chilling the dough intensifies the flavors and gives you a cookie that will better hold its shape in the oven. The cookies spread less as the fats are hardened and take longer to melt in the oven.
This dough can be frozen and stored for up to two months in the freezer. Thaw dough in the refrigerator when ready to bake.
You Will Also Love This Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe!
Cardamom Butter Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- course sugar or sprinkles for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, cardamom and nutmeg in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, salt, and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks with mixer on low. Increase speed to medium and mix until combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl, add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Pour in the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Roll the dough into a log. Wrap in parchment paper or plastic, then chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour. I
- Once the dough is chilled, use a sharp knife to cut dough into even sized slices.
- Top cookies with coarse sugar or sprinkles if desired. Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
I made these cookies last night, and I am obsessed. They ARE perfectly light, soft, sweet, buttery, and with just the right amount of SPICEs. I will definitely be making these again!
Thank you so much for your comment. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the cookies! Happy New Year!