Quick and simple cilantro lime slaw made with shredded cabbage, fresh herbs, and a light, creamy dressing. Use this slaw as a fresh, tangy topping for fish, chicken, or pork tacos and so much more!
It's hard to resist a fresh, crunchy cabbage slaw, especially when it's piled high on a taco! I don't consider a fish taco complete without a tangy slaw on top.
Making this zesty cilantro lime slaw could not be easier and the flavor is so bright and fresh. For the perfect taco recipe to pile this slaw on, check out our Blackened Redfish Taco recipe next. And be sure to check our Creamy Southern Coleslaw recipe for more slaw inspiration!
Ingredients You Need To Make This Recipe
- Green and red cabbage. Shredded cabbage is the base for the slaw.
- Chopped cilantro. For freshness and brightness.
- Fresh jalapeno. One seeded and chopped jalapeno adds subtle heat. Leave the seeds in more heat!
- Chopped green onions. For mild onion flavor and freshness.
- Mayonnaise. The base for the slaw dressing.
- Freshly squeezed lime juice. For acidity and tanginess.
- Granulated sugar. To balance out the flavor profile and a touch of sweetness.
- Salt. To bring out the flavors of the ingredients.
- Cracked black pepper. To add a piney, peppery bite.
How To Make This Recipe
Whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, and sugar in a small mixing bowl.
In another medium mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, cilantro, green onions, and jalapeno with a wooden spoon. Drizzle dressing over top of the cabbage and toss to combine.
Variations and Substitutions
Make this slaw all your own by tweaking the ingredients to suit your taste! Here are some ways you can switch things up:
- Make it with different veggies. Swap some or all of the cabbage for shredded broccoli, brussel sprouts, or carrots!
- Add some crunch. Throw in some toasted pine nuts or sesame seeds.
- Make it smoky. Add in some chili powder or smoked paprika.
- Make it spicier. Add more chopped jalapeno or some cayenne pepper for added heat.
- Add more tanginess. Throw in a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for more zing.
How To Serve Cilantro Lime Slaw
- This slaw makes a delicious topping for tacos. Dress up fish, shrimp, chicken, or pork tacos with a spoonful or two of slaw!
- Serve it on top of sandwiches. Pile this slaw on top of pulled pork, corned beef, or fish sandwiches for added texture and freshness.
- Serve it as a fresh side dish. This slaw tastes great alongside seafood, barbecue, hot dogs, and burgers.
FAQs and Tips For The Best Slaw
Coleslaw and slaw are a bit different in that coleslaw is made primarily with cabbage and slaw, on the other hand, can be made with a number of different shredded vegetables, such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, fennel, and more.
This interesting article by Greatist goes into great detail about the origins of slaw!
Once the cabbage and vegetables in slaw have been combined with the dressing, they begin to soften. It is best to prepare slaw within an hour or two of serving it for the best texture, although it is edible for up to three days after.
This slaw can be made vegan by substituting vegan mayonnaise for regular mayonnaise or by omitting the mayonnaise altogether. A tablespoon of mustard can also be added.
Slaw can certainly be made healthy depending on what ingredients are added to the dressing. The cabbage and other vegetables that slaws are made with are packed with nutrients.
To make a healthier dressing for slaw, try using Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise or honey instead of granulated sugar for a natural sweetener.
Cabbage can be shredded a number of different ways, but the easiest method is to shred it in a food processor with the shredder attachment. Just cut sections off a head of cabbage that can be pushed through the feeding tube of a food processor.
Shredding cabbage using a food processor takes mere seconds! You can also shred cabbage by hand using a sharp knife to slice thin sections of a head of cabbage or you can buy packaged pre-shredded cabbage.
Recommended Tools For This Recipe
More Easy Recipes You Will Love!
- Easy Southern Oven Fried Catfish
- Brown Sugar Glazed Chicken
- Cajun Honey Butter Shrimp
- Hot Honey Butter Chicken Thighs
Easy Cilantro Lime Slaw (For Tacos and More!)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro packed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed, from about one medium lime
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Add the mayonnaise, lime juice, and sugar to a small mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Place the cabbage, cilantro, green onion, and jalapeno in a separate medium mixing bowl and toss with a wooden spoon until ingredients are evenly mixed together. Drizzle the dressing over the cabbage mixture and gently toss it together with the wooden spoon until all of the caabbage is coated with the dressing.
- Season the cabbage with salt and cracked black pepper, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, and enjoy!