It's easy to get bored with having the same sides with dinner over and over. I know it's so tempting to crack open that can of green beans, pop them in the microwave, slap them on that dinner plate and call it a day. Trust me - I get it! If you're looking to break free from the mundane with a fun, tasty side dish - I've got you covered with these Pesto Parmesan Roasted Potatoes.
The most difficult thing about this dish is making the pesto - and all that involves is pulsing a few ingredients in a food processor. This potato dish takes your classic roasted potato recipe and elevates it a bit. Your guests will be impressed with this one and they don't have to know how easy it was to prepare.
Making Pesto Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
I use a 1.5 pound bag of a baby potato medley for this recipe but you may use any kind of baby potatoes you prefer. Be sure and cut any larger potatoes in half - you can leave the small ones whole.
Rinse your potatoes and set them aside in a large bowl while you make your pesto.
How to Make the Basil Pesto
Have your food processor ready to go and add in two packed cups of fresh basil leaves, torn from the stem.
Next, add your toasted nuts. I used walnuts but you can also use almonds or pine nuts. To toast them, simply toss them in a hot skillet for a couple minutes.
Add in some grated Parmesan, a pinch of salt and olive oil. I start with about about a tablespoon of olive oil then add more right into the food processor as you're pulsing until you reach your desired consistency. You want your pesto to be pretty thick.
Cooking Pesto Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Add in about two tablespoons of pesto into the bowl with your potatoes. Toss potatoes with a spoon to coat them with the pesto.
Season potatoes with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and chipotle pepper. Toss potatoes again to mix everything together.
Transfer potatoes to an oiled baking sheet, being sure to spread them out so that none are overlapping.
Bake for 20 minutes then remove potatoes from oven and add some grated Parmesan right on top of the potatoes. Place them back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove potatoes from oven and top with more grated Parmesan and remaining pesto by dropping dollops right on top of potatoes. Serve warm.
Serve Pesto Parmesan Potatoes with this Maple Chipotle Salmon!
Pesto Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves packed
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts or almonds or pine nuts
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- Add basil, walnuts, Parmesan, salt and about half of the olive oil to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times and add more olive oil as needed. Continue to pulse until a smooth pesto forms.
Pesto Parmesan Potatoes
- Rinse potatoes and cut larger ones in half. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of pesto to bowl with potatoes. Season potatoes with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and chipotle pepper. Toss potatoes with a spoon to coat.
- Transfer potatoes to an oiled baking sheet, being sure to spread them out so that none are overlapping. Bake for 20 minutes then remove from oven and sprinkle two tablespoons of Parmesan on top of potatoes. Transfer back to oven and bake an additional five minutes until Parmesan is golden and potatoes are crispy.
- Remove potatoes from oven and top with additional pesto by dropping dollops right onto potatoes. Serve warm!