This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is full of cozy fall flavor with sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic cooked in broth until tender then pureed and combined with half and half and lots of fall spices to create the perfect autumn soup!
Comfy sweaters, colorful leaves, crisp air...and cozy soups! Ahhh, the wonderful things fall are made of. My mother-in-law recently gave me a huge bag of sweet potatoes from the garden and man was I excited to put them to use!
Sweet potatoes are one my favorite ingredients to use not only during the fall and holiday season, but all year long. This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup recipe certainly screams fall and is packed with cozy fall flavor.
Sweet potatoes are cooked with carrots, onion and garlic and pureed until smooth. Cozy spices including cinnamon and nutmeg are added along with half and half to make this soup perfectly creamy.
Top this soup off with toasted walnuts, a sprinkle of nutmeg and a swirl of heavy cream or coconut cream and curl up on the sofa with a big bowl of this Creamy Sweet Potato Soup!
Making Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Chop your sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic. Cut sweet potatoes into about one inch cubes. Simply slice your carrots in to discs - no need to remove the skin. You will need 4 medium sized sweet potatoes and 3 large carrots.
Heat butter in a Dutch oven or large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped sweet potato, carrots and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add garlic and ginger and cook until garlic is fragrant, about another minute.
Add stock, cinnamon and nutmeg to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
Use an immersion blender or work in batches using a standing blender (this is the method I used) and puree soup until smooth. Transfer soup to a large bowl and whisk in half and half, maple syrup, red pepper and salt and black pepper to taste.
Add more heavy cream and/or spices to reach desired consistency and flavor. I love the sweet, spicy, savory combination so I went a little heavier on the maple syrup and red pepper. I also added a little more cinnamon to mine and kept my consistency on the thicker side by using between ½ and ¾ cups of half and half.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped toasted walnuts, a sprinkle of nutmeg and a swirl of cream!
A Few Notes for Creamy Potato Soup
You can make this soup vegan by using coconut milk instead of half and half in the soup and coconut cream instead of heavy cream for garnish.
Store Creamy Sweet Potato Soup in an air tight container for up to three day in the fridge. You can also freeze this soup by filling freezer bags and storing them in a lying position for up to a month. I also double bag just to be on the safe bag.
What to Serve with Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
The short answer here is whatever you want! This soup is hearty and filling and can be served in large bowls as a main dish with warm, crusty bread on the side. You can also serve this soup as an appetizer to a dinner of meat and veggies.
I served this soup as a side dish to Maple Walnut Crusted Catfish (recipe coming soon) and it was divine!
Let us know how you enjoyed this soup by tagging @pinkowlkitchen in your creations on Instagram!
You Will Also Love this Harvest Vegetable Soup Recipe!
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes, about 4 medium sized potatoes
- 3 large carrots washed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumbnail sized piece fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ - 1 cup half and half
- 1 - 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped toasted walnuts, nutmeg, heavy cream for topping
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add garlic and ginger and cook until garlic is fragrant, about another minute. Add stock, cinnamon an nutmeg. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer uncovered until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup or work in batches and purée the soup in a standing blender.
- Transfer soup to a large bowl and whisk in half and half, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowl and garnish with chopped toasted walnuts, a sprinkle of nutmeg and a drizzle of heavy cream or coconut cream