These fluffy pancakes are made with a combination of whole wheat and coconut flour, mashed sweet potato and cozy fall spices to create the perfect Saturday morning stack!
One thing I look forward to every weekend is having a stack of fluffy pancakes on Saturday or Sunday morning (sometimes both!). I'm obsessed with pancakes and am always looking for ways to incorporate fun, new ingredients.
While you can never go wrong with traditional fluffy buttermilk pancakes, I wanted to jazz this batch up a bit. Enter these Fluffy Sweet Potato Pancakes with cozy fall spices!
For these pancakes, I used a combination of whole wheat and coconut flour, which gave them the most amazing flavor and texture. The mashed sweet potato, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger give these pancakes a cozy fall feel!
Top these babies off with a dollop of whipped cream, cinnamon and maple syrup for the most perfect fluffy stack!
Making Fluffy Sweet Potato Pancakes
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
Add eggs, vanilla extract, sweet potato and milk. You may need a little more milk depending on how much moisture is in your sweet potato. Just make sure you get a nice pancake batter consistency.
Whisk everything together until batter is smooth. A few lumps of sweet potato remaining is totally fine! I love having little chunks of sweet potato in the pancakes.
Spoon even ladle-fulls of batter into skillet on onto griddle. You can use a ¼ cup measuring cup if you like to make sure you get even sized pancakes.
Once bubbles form on top and pancakes are golden on the bottom, flip pancakes over. Cook until other side is golden brown. Serve pancakes warm with whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon and maple syrup!
A Few Notes for Fluffy Sweet Potato Pancakes
If you do not have coconut flour, feel free to use all whole wheat or all purpose flour. You will need a little less milk if not using the coconut flour.
If you have pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice, you can add a couple teaspoons of that to the batter instead of the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
If you want your pancake batter to be completely smooth, you can puree the sweet potato in a blender instead of just mashing. I just mashed my sweet potato with a fork so my batter was a bit lumpy. It's totally up to you and how you prefer your pancakes!
You Will Also Love this Giant Funfetti Pancake Recipe!
Fluffy Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter extra virgin
- 1 cup whole wheat or all purpose flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- ¾-1 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened almond
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oil or butter in large nonstick skillet or electric griddle over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Add eggs, sweet potato, milk and vanilla extract to flour mixture. Whisk everything to combine until batter is mostly smooth. Add more milk as needed to get a nice pancake batter consistency. A few lumps remaining is totally fine.
- Spoon even ladle-fulls of batter into skillet or onto griddle. You can also use a ¼ measuring cup to ensure you get even sized pancakes.
- Cook until bubbles for on top and pancakes are golden on the bottom, 2-3 minutes, then flip. Continue to cook until other side is golden brown and pancakes are fluffy, 2-3 minutes more. Serve pancakes warm with whipped cream, cinnamon and maple syrup if desired!