These bars are the perfect treat for your next Cinco de Mayo gathering or for any time! Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite holidays because of two things mainly - the delicious Mexican food and the tasty margaritas. Mexican cuisine is definitely well loved in our home and we cook up all kinds of Mexican dishes all throughout the year.
I decided to whip up these bars this past Cinco de Mayo and they were an absolute hit! The sweet, tangy filling atop the sweet and salty pretzel crust is absolutely divine y’all! They are so chewy with the perfect crunchy bite from the crust...perfection! These bars do include tequila as an ingredient but feel free to omit if you desire and use additional fresh lime juice in its place. Once you set these bars out on the table, they are sure to be devoured quickly so make sure you bake enough to go around!
- 1 ½ cups crushed pretzels
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter — melted no substitutions - use REAL butter
- 2 ¼ cup granulated sugar — divided
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice — from about 5-6 limes
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon tequila — optional you can omit and use an extra tablespoon lime or orange juice instead
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Powdered sugar — for dusting
- 1.Preheat oven to 350°Line a 9x9 square pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- 2.Mix crushed pretzels, ¼ cup sugar, and melted butter with in a large bowl. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Be sure to compact it very well. Any little holes in the crust will cause the filling to leak through. Bake for 12 minutes.
- 3.While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Whisk the eggs with remaining 2 cups of sugar. Whisk in lime juice, zest, and tequila, then whisk in flour until smooth and no lumps remain.
- 5.Pour lime mixture slowly and carefully over hot crust then continue baking for about 25 minutes until the top starts to brown and is no longer translucent. Cool bars completely before cutting. It’s easiest to cut cold bars, so I suggest chilling them before cutting. Dust the tops with powdered sugar. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.