In this Parmesan Crusted Catfish recipe, tender, flaky catfish gets dressed up with a crunchy topping of Panko breadcrumbs and salty Parmesan cheese
About Parmesan Crusted Catfish
Catfish is a staple here in the south and I’m always surprised when I hear people from other regions say that they’ve never tried it! I know that not not everyone will be a fan but I definitely recommend trying it at least once. This Parmesan Crusted Catfish is the perfect recipe to try.
I get such nostalgia when I think about catfish...memories of fish fries being held in the backyard with cole slaw, hush puppies and French fries! Oh and hold onto your seat for this...for many in the south spaghetti and meat sauce is served as a side dish! Especially as an accompaniment for yummy cornmeal breaded catfish at a backyard fish fry!
I decided to go a different route for this catfish recipe although cornmeal breaded, deep fried catfish reigns supreme in my book! These catfish filets get dressed up with a coating of panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan and fresh parsley.
You see this type of preparation on many different types of white flaky fish, so I thought why not a southern staple like catfish? This fish comes out tender with the perfect bit of crunch from the Parmesan and panko coating!
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Catfish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and coat your oven proof skillet with olive oil.
Be sure and pat you fish dry with paper towels before you get started. This ensures your fish and crust don't get soggy - we don't want that!
In a medium bowl, combine your panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, melted butter, Tabasco sauce and lemon juice. Give a quick stir to incorporate everything.
Spoon about 3 tablespoons of panko mixture over each piece of fish and lightly pack onto fish by gently patting.
Transfer fish to skillet and cook in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes then turn the oven on broil for 2-3 minutes to get a nice brown crust on top.
That's it! It doesn't get any easier, y'all!
You will also love this Maple Glazed Salmon Recipe!
Parmesan Crusted Baked Catfish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed about ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 catfish fillets 6-8 oz each
- 2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°. Oil cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- In medium bowl, mix together the cheese, breadcrumbs, butter, Tabasco and lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside until needed.
- Pat the fish fillets completely dry with paper towels (removing the moisture ensures they won't get mushy while baking); season with salt and pepper. Arrange the fish in oiled skillet
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of the cheese mixture over each fillet and pat to lightly pack onto fish.
- Place in preheated oven and bake until bubbly and almost cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Move fillets to broiler for 2 to 3 minutes to brown and crisp the tops. When done, the fish should flake easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.