These Lemon blueberry trifles are decadent, rich and flavorful little desserts that are sure to impress your friends and family. Moist lemon cake is layered with creamy vanilla pudding, fresh blueberries and whipped cream in these individual trifles. This is the perfect dessert for any time of year and they are so easy to assemble.
Why Individual Trifles Instead of a Large Trifle?
No reason in particular other than convenience and the cuteness factor! I don't make many individual desserts but I think the presentation is lovely and you can make the exact number of servings you need - no more and no less!
Individual desserts like these Lemon Blueberry Trifles are also perfect for date night meals as you can simply prepare two desserts instead of a large batch recipe that will most likely go to waste - or worse, you make yourself sick by eating too much (I may be guilty of this haha).
Making Individual Lemon Blueberry Trifles
Start by cutting up your prepared lemon cake into cubes - some small and some a bit larger. You may use boxed cake mix for your lemon cake or try this delicious lemon cake recipe (jump to lemon cake layer section and half the recipe to yield one 9-inch cake to make four trifles)!
These Individual Lemon Blueberry Trifles are also the perfect way to use up cake scraps or a failed cake that you don't want to trash.
Layer the bottom of four stemless wine glasses or mason jars each with an even layer of lemon cake cubes, using smaller pieces to fill in gaps. Spoon a couple tablespoons of vanilla pudding over top of cake in each glass. Top pudding with an even layer of fresh blueberries, then whipped cream.
Repeat this layering process once more, leaving about an inch at the top of each glass. Top each trifle with fresh blueberries and lemon zest to finish. Serve immediately.
Can I Substitute Another Cake Flavor or Fruit?
Absolutely! I'll be totally honest with you guys - this recipe came about after I had a major cake fail due to adding too much baking powder in a recipe. The center of my cakes collapsed but the flavor was incredible - so lemon blueberry trifles it was!
You can use any flavor cake of your choosing as well as different types of fruits. You can even use brownies or blondies instead of cake! Here are just a few flavor combination suggestions that I've mentally bookmarked to try soon:
- Chocolate cake with strawberries
- White cake with blackberries
- Red velvet cake with chocolate pudding and strawberries
- White cake with peaches or apricots
- Brownies with cherries
Feel free to let your imagination run wild and experiment with all types of different flavor combinations! Be sure and let me know how your creations turn out in the comments section below!
You Will Also Love this Lemon Cheesecake Layer Cake Recipe!
Individual Lemon Blueberry Trifles
- 1 9-inch lemon cake* cut into cubes, some larger and some smaller, you may not use all of the cake
- 1 3.4 oz box of instant vanilla pudding prepared according to package instructions
- 2 cups whipped cream fresh or store bought
- 1 pint fresh blueberries rinsed
- Layer the bottom of 4 stemless wine glasses or mason jars with an even layer of lemon cake cubes, using smaller pieces to fill in gaps.
- Top cake cubes with a couple tablespoons of vanilla pudding. Top pudding layer with a small handful of fresh blueberries then top blueberries with a couple tablespoons of whipped cream.
- Repeat this layering process once more for each trifle, leaving about an inch at the top of each glass. Finish each trifle with more fresh blueberries and lemon zest. Serve immediately.
Be sure to let us know how your creations turn out in the comments section below and don't forget to leave a star rating if you've tried this recipe!